IMMIGRATION Different Australian Visa Types


Australia is a major destination hub for students, tourist, and workers. And the Australian immigration system is one of the most flexible in the world.

There exist visa for every travel objective, and knowing the right visa for you is the first and major consideration.

But before obtaining an Australian Visa, you must provide certain basic information like who you are, where you are coming from, who you are traveling with and how long you intend to stay.

This article will highlight the types of Australian visa and you will decide which one suits your traveling objective.


There are several Australian visas but we will focus on the most common 6 which are the

  • Student visa,
  • Work and Holiday visa
  • Partner Visa
  • Tourist visa
  • Post-Graduate visa, and
  • Skilled visa


Australia is a global destination for international students seeking quality and research-based education.

One of the prerequisites of obtaining a Student Visa is being offered admission in any recognized Australian institution and enrolling in a recognized course for a minimum duration of 12 weeks.

The Student visa covers the duration of your study. The Student visa has no age limit and language proficiency, also you can work part-time during your studies.


The Australian Work and Holiday visa gives the holder option of exploring the immense beauty of Australia and seek gainful employment at the same time.

However, this visa stream is not available for all nationals and the age requirement is between 18-10 with exception to French, Canadian and Irish citizens (18-35).

This visa stream does not allow dependents to accompany you, and you must prove you have sufficient funds to cater for yourself during your stay.

To qualify for this visa stream, you must be a citizen of the following countries

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
  • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland


As the name implies, the Tourist visa allows you to visit Australia solely for the purpose of tourism. There are two types of tourist visa:
The Tourist Visitor Visa 651, which allows you a maximum stay of 3 months and
The Tourist Visitor Visa 600 which allows you to stay in the country for 12 months.

Working under this visa is highly prohibited, however, you can enroll for a course whose duration is less than 3 months.


To qualify for this visa stream, you must be married to an Australian permanent resident or citizen.

Your partner is obligated by law to sponsor you for two years after which, if the relationship is proven to be genuine you may be eligible for permanent residence.


This visa stream is for international students who recently graduated with relevant qualifications and skills that are in demand to work in Australia temporarily.


The Skilled visa stream is for skilled immigrants whose professions or skills are in huge demand in Australia.

To qualify for this stream, you must nominate an occupation from the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

This visa stream offers permanent residence status to qualified applicants.