Applications for the 2020-2021 academic year are now closed. The new application deadline for Visiting Doctoral Researchers is now February 15, 2021. To apply to be a Visiting Doctoral Researcher in the 2021-2022 academic year please visit the Global Visitors Program Application Page.
Required Application Materials
1) Completed online application form
2) Detailed curriculum vitae
3) Personal statement
4) Two letters of recommendation
5) Research proposal with one page abstract
6) TOEFL score/statement of English language proficiency
7) Recent publication in English
Please complete the online application and submit the requested materials listed above.
2. Curriculum Vitae
The curriculum vitae of applicants must contain complete information on academic institutions, honors, and/or awards, and all professional experience (current and previous including dates of employment and job descriptions).
3. Personal Statement
The personal statement is limited to 500 words. The applicant should respond to the following question:
What are your intellectual and professional aspirations?
4. Letters of Recommendation
The two letters of recommendation should be from academics or legal professionals that can speak authoritatively on the applicant’s abilities, specifically as they relate to the applicant’s research proposal. Paper recommendations should be placed in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature across the seal and included in the applicant’s complete materials. Electronic recommendations should be in the form of a PDF, signed by the person writing the letter, and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See other Opportunities to Live, Work and Study Abroad:
- Canada – Your new home!
- FREE CANADA IMMIGRATION ASSESSMENT
- Canada Targets Over One Million Immigrants By 2021
- Different Australian Visa Types
- Australia’s New Temporary Sponsored Visa For Parents
- These Reasons Could Deny You Entry Into Canada!
- America DV Visa Lottery- Is It For Real?
- Requirements For getting Canada Visa
- Applying For Student VISA in Australia
- IMMIGRATION How to Apply for U.S.A Visa – [Step By Step Guide]
5. Research Proposal
The research proposal is limited to between 1500 and 2500 words. A well-developed research proposal is a critical part of the application. We require a detailed research proposal that describes research questions, the methodology to be utilized, the expected results of the work, and the projected contribution to the field of inquiry. The research proposal should be preceded by a one-page abstract. The title of the proposal should indicate fully the nature of the research project.
6. TOEFL Score/Statement of English Language Proficiency
Applicants are expected to have a level of English language proficiency sufficient to write a publishable piece in English and participate in the J.S.D. Forum and other discussions. Command of the English language is vital to active participation in the program. All students are expected to be able to read, write, speak, and comprehend English to the degree that they are able to interact with colleagues, provide feedback, and present.
For applicants from non-English speaking countries, proof of English language proficiency, specifically oral, reading, writing and listening ability, is required with the following exceptions:
• If the applicant has received a degree from an English-speaking institution, that included examinations in English, the language proficiency requirement is satisfied without further proof.
• If the applicant has published academic works in English the written language proficiency requirement is satisfied with submission of a copy of one such article. Evidence of oral proficiency may, however, be required.
For all other applicants from non-English speaking countries, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. Please contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) for information on scheduling a test date: Test of English as a Foreign Language, Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, www.toefl.org. For purposes of application to the Visiting Doctoral Researcher position in the J.S.D. Program, we will accept unofficial copies of the applicant’s TOEFL Score Report.
7. Recent Publication in English
Please include one recent publication in English, no more than 20 pages. Please note, the work must be originally published in English, not translated into English. A dissertation chapter may be submitted in lieu of a published piece of work.\
Submitting Application Materials
Application materials can be uploaded from the online application form. Please be sure the materials are in PDF or Word format. It is not necessary to send a paper copy of application materials. Letters of recommendation can be sent to the following:
NYU School of Law
22 Washington Square North
New York, NY 10011
Review of Applications and Decision Notification
Successful applicants will have outstanding academic records at all levels of university training and a demonstrated commitment to the advancement of their scholarly project and their future professional life. Standards for admission to the Visiting Doctoral Researcher position in the JSD Program are extremely high, but not arbitrary. Candidates may expect to receive a decision at or about the end of April.