Scholarships are intended for excellent students from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland who want to complete a Master’s programme at the University of Helsinki.
We are among the top 1% of the world’s research universities because University of Helsinki is ranked among the top 100 best universities. By studying with us, you too can become one of the best!
- Fully Funded Grant (Tuition fee + 10 000 EUR)
- Full Tuition fee Grant
Tuition fees range from 13 000 to 18 000 euros.
Duration of the scholarship is two years. For all scholarships, students are required to study full time (earn at least 55 ECTS per year) to fulfil the requirements of the scholarship. After the first study year, the progress of your studies will be checked and, depending on your progress, the scholarship will be continued.
Who is eligible?
All candidates must meet the following requirements:
- You are eligible for the Master’s programme at the University of Helsinki.
- You are liable for tuition fees: Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries who do not have permanent residence status in the EU/EEA area are liable for tuition fees. You can check the FAQ at the Studyinfo website as to whether or not you are required to pay tuition fees.
- You meet the requirements for obtaining an entry visa and residence permit for Finland.
- You have obtained excellent results in your previous studies and can prove this in your application.
- Development Economics MSc Scholarship at University of Kent in UK 2021
- Africa International PGR Scholarships at KCL in UK 2021/22
- University of Western Global Excellence Scholarship – Australia
- University Canada West Scholarships in Canada 2021
- Orange Knowledge Scholarship in The Netherlands 2021
Application and selection process
How to apply for a scholarships
- Find the Master’s programme you want to apply to through the Degree Finder
- See the instructions on how to apply to the Master’s programme and prepare the necessary attachments.
- Apply for a scholarship with the same application form used to apply to the Master’s programme.
- Submit all the required attachments.
The scholarships for new students will be awarded on the basis of academic overall assessment: Previous academic performance and possible letters of motivation, in addition to which the grounds presented by applicants in their grant applications will be taken into consideration.
You may receive a scholarship only in a category you have applied for, but you can apply for more than one scholarship category.
- The Master’s programme conducts an academic assessment of your degree application and your scholarship application.
- The Master’s programme makes a proposal to the Scholarship Committee concerning the scholarship application.
- The Scholarship Committee makes the final decision on the scholarship.
If you are awarded a scholarship, you will receive an official acceptance letter with information about your scholarship status.
Benefits for scholarship recipients
Student Union (HYY) membership fee including
- free or highly affordable health care services by the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS)
- student meal discounts in Unicafe restaurants
- reductions in public transport
- Unisport services at low prices.
Intensive Finnish course at the Helsinki Summer School. If you are among the first to accept a study place, the University will offer you this course for free. It is a great opportunity to learn Finnish and explore Finnish culture before starting your degree studies in Helsinki.
The University of Helsinki offers all scholarship winners the option to take part in the University of Helsinki Student Ambassador Programme.
The University of Helsinki offers other scholarships for its degree students. You may apply for them during the first and second study year. For example the Study Grant is a reward for successful first year studies and encourages you to aim even higher in your second year of studies.
COLFUTURO offers loan-scholarships to Colombian students admitted to study at the University of Helsinki.
STUDENT LOAN PROGRAMMES (For US Students only):
SALLIE MAE GRADUATE AND HEALTH PROFESSIONS LOAN: Sallie Mae Bank offers private loans for US Students. For details on applying the loan, please visit: https://www.salliemae.com
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information please refer to our FAQ pages.
The University of Helsinki reserves all rights to make changes to the scholarship programme.